Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Why I Start Each Day Reading Daily Kos

Markos was about to pony up his full allowance of $2,300 for Obama when O's fallback position on the FISA "compromise" and O's apparent disavowal of Clark's *specific response* to the suggestion that all good presidents should be blowed-up fighter pilots caused Markos to belay that order until Obama showed Kos just a little more starch in his grits.

Folk said OH NO, to which Kos replied:

Now I know there's a contingent around here that things Obama can do no wrong, and he must never be criticized, and if you do, well fuck you! I respect the sentiment, but will respectfully disagree. We're allowed to do that here.

(snip)

Ultimately, he's currently saying that he doesn't need people like me to win this thing, and he's right. He doesn't. If they've got polling or whatnot that says that this is his best path to victory, so much the better. I want him to win big. But when the Obama campaign makes those calculations, they have to realize that they're going to necessarily lose some intensity of support. It's not all upside. And for me, that is reflected in a lack of interest in making that contribution.

I like Obama just fine, and we had an Obama for President sign on the front of our house 18 months ago (someone either stole it or destroyed it!), but I felt all during the primaries that the big difference between H. and O. was 1) electability and 2) connotation, not denotation: Policy-wise they look like pretty much the same person.

Obama's got my vote pretty much no matter what, but if criticism -- criticism with a dollar sign attached -- makes him a better candidate, it's okay to play that card.

God, I love to mix my metaphors.


Zemanta Pixie

No comments: