Tuesday, November 25, 2008

See the Symptoms Ripple



Since the Giants opened AT&T ballpark, I've shared a couple third-deck season tickets with 8-to-10 USF staff and faculty. The number varies year to year as syndicate members come and go and come again. But this year we've lost enough members that, to quote our syndicate chief, "I guess we're going to have to reconsider whether we can move forward."

We've opened the doors to those outside the university, but so far no takers. It would be a $400 investment for eight games in really pretty good seats -- for the third deck.

The hesitation of others makes me rethink my own decision. Am I being lavish? We also have two A's tickets for a 20-game package in the second deck complete with senior discount. Surely it's foolhardy to have *two* season ticket packages. There's parking. There's BART. There's wear and tear on one's joints walking to and fro. And what about opportunity cost?

When others who from a distance look more prosperous than us draw back, why am I the cockeyed-optimist?

On the other hand, what are the odds I'll die or lose my marbles before our money runs out? Sometimes being a pessimist can make you an optimist, at least short term.,
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: