Thursday, May 07, 2009

Post Prandial

A pleasant meal for the Media Studies majors, though not as raucous or emotional as some I've been to. The question is: Does the reality of the job market mute the mindless hope to which all graduates are entitled, college or otherwise?

Back in '66, we had a nice little war, getting worse, so let's not pity the young too much. What I tell them and what I mean with all my heart is that there's a decent probability they'll live to 150, which means (among other things) they will have a decade or two to focus up and get serious. Bartend now, save the world or make a billion later.

To which advice, if I were a kid, I would respond with a polite nod and a renewed determination to figure it all out as soon as possible. If the old man is right, I'll take the 2060s off.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Amber said...

As a media studies graduate from a year ago, I am happy to say that I have successfully avoided facing the job market for one year, and I'll be continuing that a second year. The trick is volunteering and seeing how long you can defer your loans.

....J.Michael Robertson said...

For someone with focus and purpose, there is no such thing as a bad day to graduate. And purposeful volunteering is good for the resume, karmic and otherwise. So now I will be forwarding any moans, groans and self pity directly to you, Amber!