Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Life of a School Bus Driver Grows Ever Lonelier

Working for city government as she does, my wife is first in line for all sorts of emailed official announcements. She just forwarded a California Highway Patrol press release about new traffic laws, including:

Lighting Equipment. (SB 1236, Murray). The new law permits non-distracting night vision enhancement devices which display images allowing a driver to see objects ahead better during darkness.

Headlamp Usage. (AB 1854, Simitian). This amendment to the vehicle code requires every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, be operated with headlamps lighted when weather conditions require the windshield wipers to be in continuous use.

Wireless Telephones. (AB 2785, Nakano). This new addition to the California Vehicle Code prohibits the driver of a school bus or transit vehicle from using a wireless telephone while driving. Exemptions are for work related use or emergency purposes.

My analysis: 1) Now I can drive like a Ninja. 2) That makes sense. Why do people hate to turn on their lights? When I was a kid, I recall that I didn't want to look like a wimp. It takes a man to (trifle) with darkness. 3) Excellent. I wouldn't want anything to interfere with their drinking on the job.



No comments: