Monday, February 07, 2005

The Real Insiders Call It Peanut Noir

I just heard on NPR that the movie Sideways has resulted in a nationwide increase in the consumption of pinot noir and that in the Bay Area some restaurants say their sales of pinot noir have increased one hundred percent.

Just for the record I have been drinking it for years. Can't claim I can tell the difference between the good and the bad or the dear and the cheap. I'm not saying I understand the grape or the nuances of its production, its fermenting, its blending, its psycho-sexual torment during its typically difficult adolescence and so on and so on.

But by god I will order me some of it when I get the chance on account of the taste -- great with hot dogs, not so good with fried pies -- and I do not drink it because of a "bad hair" movie.

No comments: