Saturday, October 18, 2008

John Keats, Political Counselor


Speaking (I guess) maybe about philosophy -- or it could be poetry -- he refers to:

Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason

So now I apply it to myself and this political season. If you believe that pollsters are applying the right screens -- likelihood of voting; ratio of Dems to Repubs to Indies among those who are likely to vote; likelihood that at least some of those who say one thing will, in fact, do another -- then, sure, barring some cataclysmic event from outside the natural motion of the campaign during the next two weeks BH Obama wins.

But I am not confident about all these variables, particularly the last one. So I speculate, analyze, try to tease out the "logic" of the illogical and derive my own vector of outcome. Keats was right. Thinking will not make it so. Time to watch and wait. Or to write a check and volunteer, of course. If it is to come, it will come. Ripeness is all.



No comments: