Saturday, November 04, 2006

Saddam Tells All. He Has Come to Tell Us All.

On the eve of a probable death sentence for crimes against the Iraqi people, a tearful Saddam Hussein unburdened himself by revealing that during the late 90s he bought nuclear material from North Korea on several occasions, making clear, however, that "I was tempted but I never used it. I threw it away."

He also said Kim Jong-il gave him a back rub.

P.S. I think this is what they call unstable irony. That is, what is my point about Saddam Hussein other than that I am seizing upon him as a tool for making fun of Pastor Haggard? I mean, I don't intend to suggest Saddam actually had weapons of mass destruction. Ah, well. In the words of Lord Byron:

Some have accused me of a strange design
Against the creed and morals of the land,
And trace it in this poem every line:
I don't pretend that I quite understand
My own meaning when I would be very fine;
But the fact is that I have nothing plann'd,
Unless it were to be a moment merry,
A novel word in my vocabulary.

No comments: