Sunday, September 07, 2008

What I Struggled to Express But Couldn't.

Atrios/Eschaton/Duncan Black, that three-in-one nonpareil, blogged about talking with a friend who was out doing the good work registering voters when:

a man came up and discussed registering to vote, but seemed more interested in proudly trumpeting his Hamletesque indecision as a mark of principled independence or something. Apparently had Obama chosen Clinton, but, well, now he likes Palin...

Anyway, he was clearly a member of that segment of the population for whom politics is just another reality TV show, and his vote is simply about which of the candidates is his "favorite" and who will spend the next 4 years entertaining him as the star of The Presidency. Many Villagers (ed. I think he means Washington media insiders) are like this too, and they look forward to being extras in the show.

It's probably completely rational for many people to approach politics this way. They're in a class and at a point in life such that actual policies are unlikely to impact them directly very much. Add in a touch of narcissism and a lack of empathy, and the choice really does come down to who you want to see on the teevee.

Yeah. Sometimes I feel that way myself, that the motto of sanity is 'I like to watch.' My wife and I have a decent yearly income now, and Mad McCain wants us to have more. He does love him some white people. Why not 'pity the fool' and laugh these last few years away. Heck, we don't even have any kids.

Damn my fundamental decency. Damn it.

No comments: