Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Bit of Old San Francisco

Brother Silver and I had a martini or two at the Persian Aub Zam Zam on Haight St. yesterday.

Nostalgia and I no longer walk side by side. Nostalgia walks ahead, dragging me behind on a leash.

Bruno the bartender was a legend and a Herb Caen favorite -- and to talk of HC is like having geezer tatooed on your balding pate -- because he was cranky and because he behaved as if it were a privilege to sit in his bar and drink his booze.

I was never thrown out because I was warned ahead about how one behaved. Of course, it would have been kind of an honor to be thrown out, but one does not go into a bar to be thrown out. I'm not much of a drinker but occcasionally I do love the thirsty darkness of a well-run bar.

The guy who runs it now is cordial almost to a fault. There are no stories to take away, only the best buzz bestowed by Boord's gin .

Drink three and trying saying that three times really fast.

I'm serious. Bring it on, as long as it's shaken, not stirred.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a good time indeed.

true, we weren't thrown out. but i could have sworn that the bartender revealed a bit of disappointment as we collected our stuff and ambled out on to haight.

or maybe i was projecting.

....J.Michael Robertson said...

We were charming customers, adding to the tone.