Saturday, March 24, 2007

This is the Day that the Lord Hath Made. Rejoice in it.

Even though today is the day I do my taxes. I am actually glad to pay taxes because I like the things taxes buy for me and for others.

Certainly some tax money is wasted because people are lazy and inefficient. This is true in both public and private sector and is not in itself a reason not to reject the idea of the greatest good for the greatest number.

Certainly some money is wasted, at least to my mind, because it is intended for purposes with which I have no sympathy. The absence of this state of affairs would signal the absence of representative government and the compromises that are inherent in the proccess.

So Ipay taxes gladly. But I certainly dislike calculating how much money I owe. Half the time you think you are cheating by claiming certain deductions and the other half the time you thing you are so mammoth a wuss by refusing to claim what the law so clearly says you deserve.

It's a very unpleasant day.

No comments: