Saturday, August 18, 2007

Three Down, One to Go

A good visit today. Not much grief and self-laceration. Some accurate "emotional" memories. I did ask Mother if she knew who I was, though not on video, since I was not exactly sure what my reaction would be and all this videoing can get a little too self-conscious.

At any rate, I asked her and she said no. But she did ask where we met. Right after I was born, I told her. She nodded politely, the way you might if the question had come up during a conversation at a cocktail party. She did not say: "I *thought* you looked vaguely familiar," at which point the speaker gazes over your shoulder into the distance, ready to move on to someone more interesting, more memorable.

But her behavior the last two days has been far above the usual standard, my sister says. Perhaps, my presence has registered on some level. Doesn't matter. She may not know who I am. I know who I am.

No comments: