Monday, November 12, 2007

Fourth Grade 1955. Time to Feel the Love

It is about 8:30 p.m. PST, and this blog has already had more than 150 visits today. This is unusual. I average under 50. I have had other big days, but all resulted from posts that created some interest, that drew in readers through word of mouth or because the idea I blogged about was in the air, and search engines threw up the name of Darwin's Cat.

I insulted my alma mater. I interpreted the last episode of The Sopranos. I insulted the University of South Florida. One understood what drove the momentary spike in readers of this blog.

But today more than three out of four readers have been drawn by the fact that I linked to a picture of a protractor in this column that talked about going back to school. As nearly as I can figure out, when people Google for an image of "protractor" -- and if you do, you get many pictures of a protractor -- if they click on one of those images, you are directed to my blog post in which I have not appropriated an image of the protractor, merely linked to its url.

Or am I somehow Google's "go to" example of linking to an image of a protractor?

I don't understand. But these visits have certainly inflated my numbers. That's all they have inflated. Today I've earned 13 cents on Adsense.

No comments: