Saturday, February 07, 2009

Dems Get Fed Up With Republican Senators, Kick Their Ass; Or, Lord Hamlet, Prince of Bloggers




Don't we wish. This post originated in my viscera as the stimulus package stumbles forward, impeded at every lurch by Republicans whose plush lifestyles have yet to be pinched by the recession and who figure they can ride it out if it turns into a depression, even if we get a right-wing dictatorship as a result.

They have correctly concluded that the people will not rise up and impose their own version of justice, no matter how bad the economy gets and how indifferent our masters continue, as (I read) Roosevelt feared in the Thirties. So I suppose these plush Repubs calculate they are all right no matter what. Though perhaps they are just stupid and have sunk too deep into their own dreams and trances.

Anyway, originally I was thinking about how sometimes one does feel as if certain a certain politician deserves a caning, and so I Googled off to the one caning I remember, that of a senator by a congressman in the 1850s. What I had forgotten was the circumstances of that caning. An anti-slavery senator was savaged by a pro-slavery congressman -- and got off in spite of the senator being seriously injured (though, to be fair, the particular speech that prompted the attack was quite brilliantly rude to the point of cruelty, and something Harry Reid could study with profit).

And so suddenly I was not only pissed off at the present, I was pissed off at the past.

But what to do?

Edited version of photograph of American actor...Image via Wikipedia



Why, what an ass am I! This is most brave,
That I, the son of a dear (stimulus package) murder'd
Prompted to my my revenge by heaven and hell,
Must, like a whore, unpack my heart with words
And fall a-cursing like a very drab.

Well, there you go: Lord Hamlet, Prince of Bloggers





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: