Saturday, February 28, 2009

Feasting with Panthers

A reservoir glass filled with a naturally colo...Image via Wikipedia

Just home from the fantasy baseball banquet. Were I a trendy type of bloke, I would twitter the result. But "trendy bloke" is not a category I occupy. Let me just say this. When the delicious dessert came out -- thank you, Brad -- I keep shouting,"Liqueur! Liqueur!" at which point host Peter Moore brought out some St. Georges absinthe.

I had ... a taste. It's not the way one is supposed to drink absinthe, since I believe there is a rather elaborate ritual, involving filtering into water and sugar cubes. But there's something to be said for sampling the raw material, which really is a liquid licorice stick. Yet it was all elegant and de riguer, if I'm not abusing my French idioms.

Pretty damn interesting to have someone roll out a bottle of absinthe, some good stuff made on Alameda Island, which is of interest only to locals.

The lady E. was talking recently about some personality index that asked you if you would prefer loyal friends or interesting friends. I said, of course, loyal, but E. didn't think so. She said that you really can't count on loyalty, as friendship decays. But, she said, "interesting" is something else. "Interesting" endures in a way loyalty cannot. I conceded her the point. That's why I love my baseball league. I've lived my whole life yearning to be next to people worth writing about even if I lack the talent to do them justice.

Oh you wonderful eccentrics, you mute inglorious Miltons,
Walt Whitman would have enjoyed you, and I mean that in the nicest way possible,

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)


Postscript: Peter posts the menu.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday February 28, 2009

Leftover Chicken Sandwiches

League Banquet
BCL, Mike, Russ, Kevin, Paul, Brad, Matt, Bob
Redwood Hills Farm Goat Cheese in many forms also stuffed in Peppadew Peppers and in Medjool Dates w/ Kumquat Zest
Short Ribs
Pappardelle w/ Parsley & Olive Oil
Asparagus
Brad's Pistachio Cake
0 comments

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]">
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: