Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Year Ago Popcorn Was Still Alive and This is What I Wrote


Popcorn's Stairway to Heaven or in this case the sofa

Old Popcorn, she of the 20 winters and the 19.5 years, has been mentioned and even pictured in these dispatches before. The constraints of time reduce us to bullet points:

* ancient
* crippled
* addled
* incontinent

To which you then say Death Death Death to the old kitty, convenience trumping sentiment.

Well, to heck with you. I concede if we had a son or daughter he or she would be some kind of over-indulged crack-sodden player of Loud Music, and we would deserve our long walk through the Valley of Pain. My God what fools these parents be.

But I digress.

Point is that stretching out this old cat's life is self-indulgent and over-indulgent, but it does not reach outside our household and mar the big world. We aren't breeding a Hitler here or a George Bush either.

But I digress.

What I am getting at is that since the poor crippled old cat can't jump up on the sofa anymore -- and even though she might die any minute and I waste valuable seconds to prod her even as I write -- I have just ordered her what they call Doggy Stairs, the three-step version, which are about a foot high and may or may not help her get on the sofa. Right now she staggers around the room with a perceptible list until I pick her up and put her on the sofa. Is this not an affront to her dignity?

Well, no. Return to the bullet points. She has got about as much dignity as Gerald Ford.

But I digress.

I ordered the Doggy Stairs rather than the Kitty Stairs because there is apparently a premium for ordering what seem to be the same stairs if you order them under the rubric of Kitty Stairs. This is like dry cleaners charging more for women's clothes and so on and so on.

Also, I ordered them through a website that says they only look at the orders once a week or so -- I kid you not -- so we are in a kind of race with death here. A more loving cat owner would have ordered the Kitty Stairs, delivery guaranteed by Christmas Day.

I'm stuck here for a kicker, but my 15 minutes are up.

I suppose I could say

but I digress.

Postscript: Those stairs weren't exactly the Gift of the Magi, but she did use them -- after some initial butt-nudging -- to get up to the couch and come down. She lived another three months. One morning we found her body twisted on the garage floor. I mean literally twisted, the way a cat would never lie.

She wasn't dead, but .... We took her to the vet for her final shot. She wasn't the best cat in the world, but apparently we couldn't get enough of her because we sure put in some work during the last year of her life keeping her alive.

Oliver just hit my lap on the bounce heading to the desktop. He'll walk over the keyboard in a minute, and I will censor him. He'll be 15 in six weeks.

The kitty stairs are still in the garage.

But I digress.

2 comments:

B. Wieder said...

I call your kitty stairs and raise you the dog stairs that I actually built--and we're talking serious radial arm saw carpentry here--and even carpeted!, for Keaton to use after he came home from surgery, but he failed to recuperate and never got to use them. What's more, I've still got them. Won't even try to explain that.

Anonymous said...

wieder - do you have any pix of the radial arm sawed dog stairs? if so, post.

michael - do you have any pix of popcorn using the steps? if so, please post.