Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Give Me One "The East is Red" with a Beer Back

What did I learn today during my lunch with Steve Runyon? Oh many things, but the one uppermost in my mind at the moment is:

I really don't like White Russians. Here's a recipe so that you can better understand my dislike.


White Russian

1 1/2 oz Vodka
3/4 oz Kahlua
3/4 oz Light Cream or Milk

Directions/Comments: Mix the vodka and kahlua together then float the cream on top. Add ice if desired.

P.S. I believe the essence of web honesty is to maintain chronology. Having pulled out of the top of my head the possibility that there might be an alcoholic beverage called "The East is Red," after mentioning that possibility in a post, I googled that name, adding the word drink. And I got this:

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Newsweek Does Tea

In early May, we mentioned that Time magazine had featured a brief article on tea. A recent article in the other weekly newsmag - Newsweek - currently posted at MSNBC.com, explores the growing world of tea connoisseurship in Asia. The article is called The Art of Tea and features a sort of snotty come-on line, "Move over, latte fans. Tea drinkers can be just as pretentious. But $50 for a single cup?"The $50 cup, by the way, is "a small cup of 60-year-old Pu-Erh, a black tea from Yunnan province," which "can add $50 to the bill at Moon Garden". Also mentioned is "The East Is Red" tea, a black tea produced by a particular 700-year-old tree in Guangdong province that once supplied tea for Chairman Mao. It goes for about $500 per 35 grams.

No comments: