Monday, July 24, 2006

Just Another Democrat Willing to Stay the Course in Iraq

Naturally, I'm willing to stay the course. Courses are finite. Courses have limits. I'd say once around the track is a "course," though I don't see why a hundred yard dash wouldn't satisfy the definition as well, and that would be over in ten seconds. But every course has a finish line at which point you can quit staying, clearly defined and easy to see as it comes into sight. Watching the judges grab the tape and run off into the distance daring you to follow cannot fall under the metaphor "stay the course."

Even ultramarathons have a finish line. There is one exception, I concede. That would be the original marathon. Run till you die.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doc
at first I thought maybe you wrote this late at night and was tired. but I see it was posted this morning around 10:30 a.m. My other initial thought is that you were a little drunk when you wrote this, but I see you wrote it at 10:30 a.m. and if so, I don't think I want to know. but I understand. at least drinking in the morning. just not this entry.
george

....J.Michael Robertson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
....J.Michael Robertson said...

Interesting. Someone who understands my point and disagrees, or someone who doesn't understand it and disagrees, which means he actually agrees? That's what makes the irony game fun, right?